Promoting Your Content: Social Media, Email and Paid Strategies for Maximizing Reach
Creating remarkable, valuable content is only the first step. The real challenge comes in effectively promoting that content to drive maximum visibility, engagement, and conversions.
With so much competition for audience attention across social media, email, and paid channels today, smart content promotion strategies are critical. The right promotion plan can get your content in front of the right people, at the right time, on the right platforms.
This comprehensive guide explores proven social media, email, and paid tactics for amplifying content reach. Follow these best practices from planning to execution to make every piece of content work harder through strategic promotion.
Content Promotion Planning Principles
Like any marketing initiative, effective content promotion requires extensive upfront planning and strategy development. Keep these core principles in mind:
Set Specific Goals and Target KPIs
Begin by defining your concrete goals for each piece of content. Do you want to:
- Generate traffic to your site?
- Grow social media followers?
- Build email subscribers?
- Increase brand awareness?
- Drive conversions or sales?
Then determine the specific KPIs that indicate success for each goal – pageviews, social shares, email sign ups, leads generated, etc. Tracking these metrics will reveal what content and promotion tactics work best.
Analyze Your Audience Personas
Truly customized content promotion requires understanding your target audience personas in depth. Profile the key segments you want your content to resonate with and uncover:
- Core demographics like age, gender, location, job title
- Interests related to your content topics and offerings
- Content preferences – formats, channels, writing style
- Social media behaviors and active platforms
- Buying journey stages and pain points
This data will inform tailoring messaging and platform choices.
Map Content Promotion Channels
Conduct an audit of the owned, earned and paid media channels available to your brand.
- Owned – Website, blog, social platforms, email lists, mobile apps
- Earned – Relevant online communities, influencers, press mentions
- Paid – Social ads, SEM, display ads, native ads, remarketing
Plot out a matrix of relevant channels for each target audience and content type. This guides optimal budget allocation.
Define Content Amplification Workflow
Outline your internal processes for executing content promotion campaigns across teams – content, social, email, advertising, PR etc.
- Plan creation: Strategy, channels, budgets, approval
- Asset development: Graphics, videos, emails, ads
- Campaign deployment and testing
- Performance tracking and optimization
Smooth workflows amplify content further through rapid iteration and improvement.
With these foundations set, tackle how to make each content piece resonate across social, email and paid.
Promoting Content on Social Media
Strategically using your brand’s owned social media platforms provides free opportunities to share content with existing followers. You can expand reach even further by paying to boost key posts.
Optimize Social Publishing Strategy
Carefully plan when and how often to share content socially for maximum impact.
- Post new content 2-4 times per day per platform depending on audience tolerance and engagement.
- Vary content types like links, images, excerpts, videos, quotes. This adds variety to the feed.
- Re-share evergreen content periodically like popular posts or recurring seasonal topics.
- Schedule posts throughout peak engagement windows for each platform using social media management tools.
- Monitor performance and iterate on posting times, frequencies, and approaches.
Strategic posting creates momentum while avoiding overwhelming followers.
Make Content Stand Out in Feeds
Execute social posts creatively so content grabs attention in busy feeds.
- Use high quality images and video that look vivid and eye-catching. Include branding.
- Write compelling headlines and captions that summarize key takeaways or provoke curiosity to click.
- Leverage hashtags related to the content topic to extend reach to interested audiences.
- Tag relevant brands or influencers who may reshare your content to their networks.
- Use interactive elements like polls, questions, fill in the blanks. This drives engagement.
- Test different caption lengths as some platforms favor longer contextual captions.
Attention-grabbing execution is crucial to content getting noticed on social media.
Amplify Reach With Paid Social
Paying to boost organic social posts expands their reach significantly to new audiences.
- Promote your best performing posts that already show organic engagement. The algorithm favors this.
- Target by interests, behaviors like related topics, competitors, job roles. This focuses spend.
- Geo-target posts to only users located in key regions.
- Set campaign objectives – clicks, conversions, video views, etc. – to trigger the right optimization.
- Automate rules for when to boost posts like those receiving over 5 shares or 25 likes in 24 hours.
- Test budgets, durations and placements across feed, stories, suggested posts. Measure cost per result.
- Retarget engaged users who clicked social posts with related content ads across platforms.
Budget just $5-$25 per day to expand social content reach exponentially.
Promoting Content Via Email
Email subscribers represent an owned audience you can directly target with your latest content. Strategic email promotion tactics include:
Send Dedicated Content Emails
Send emails dedicated specifically to promoting new content directly to inboxes.
- Curate “Best Of” content emails with top 3-5 new posts from the past 1-2 weeks.
- Highlight new content in category newsletters like roundups of top fitness articles or cooking recipes.
- Repurpose evergreen content into emails like updated lists, how-tos, or expert advice based on old blog posts.
- Test dedicated emails for big content launches like special reports, guides, or multimedia content packages.
- Track opens, clicks, and conversions to optimize email content promotion performance.
Dedicated emails notify subscribers immediately about your latest, most valuable content.
Integrate Content Previews Into Regular Emails
Integrate content teaser copy and links into non-content focused emails like purchase receipts, win-back series, events promotions etc. This amplifies reach.
- Add a content section or module into email layouts showing 1-2 titles, excerpts, and linked images.
- Personalize content recommendations based on subscriber preferences and behaviors.
- Limit to short teasers – 30-50 words – with a clear CTA to view the full post.
- Test content teasers across different email types like promotions, newsletters, onboarding. Compare performance.
This “piggybacks” onto existing high-performing emails to increase content discovery.
Promote With Targeted Personalized Outreach
Use targeted personalized outreach and automation to share relevant content with prospects and customers directly.
- Send new blog posts or guides to prospects if aligned to their interests expressed during discovery calls.
- Trigger automated content emails when a lead is assigned to a sales rep or becomes a customer to nurture with content.
- Craft highly personalized emails recommending content based on individuals’ roles and pain points.
- Equip sales teams with relevant content assets for them to share during conversations.
- Provide recommended content links within support tickets or messaging if aligned to the customer issue.
One-to-one promotion converts significantly higher by customizing content to specific needs.
Paid Content Promotion Opportunities
Paid ads offer immense potential to put your content in front of massive new audiences beyond owned channels. Utilize these high-impact paid tactics:
Drive Site Traffic With Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Ads
Pay-per-click ads like Google Ads can direct qualified visitors to your newest content offers.
- Promote content offers in keyword/search ads – target product, category, or content topic keywords. Send traffic to relevant blog posts or guides.
- Create Display Ads featuring a specific content piece – image, headline, excerpt. Target by audience and placement.
- Drive traffic to content in shopping ads by promoting related products, then linking to supporting content on landing pages.
- Retarget site visitors with display ads for more relevant content across sites they browse.
- Test always-on content campaigns with clear conversion goals vs. time-bound campaigns promoting individual new releases.
PPC builds recurring visibility for content in search and browsing pathways.
Amplify Through Native Advertising
Native advertising places promotional content directly in-stream in useful relevant contexts. Options include:
- Sponsored content articles on industry media sites writing custom articles promoting your content.
- Sponsored social posts organically from influencers or paid through social platforms.
- Content recommendation widgets like Taboola and Outbrain that recommend your content.
- Newsletter sponsorships sharing your content with another site’s email subscriber base.
- Podcast sponsorships where hosts discuss and share your content with listeners.
Native placements often convert better as they reach engaged users in trusted environments.
Promote Lead Magnets With Facebook Ads
Drive lead generation from gated content offers like guides, templates, quizzes or tools promoted with Facebook ads.
- Create Lead Ad campaigns with the conversion goal of email sign ups, not clicks or impressions.
- Target lookalike audiences similar to your current lead demographics and interests.
- Feature high-converting copy and creatives – compelling headlines, strong visuals, clear value proposition.
- Set up lead scoring rules to automatically send new leads to your CRM and trigger follow up.
- Develop segmented funnels with tailored content for users after they enter their email, to continue nurturing them.
Optimized Facebook ads can attract and convert ideal prospects into leads through content.
Tracking Content Promotion Performance
To continuously improve, closely monitor the performance of your content promotion tactics using key metrics:
For social media:
- Impressions and reach
- Engagements (likes, clicks, shares, comments)
- Growth in followers
- Conversion rate from links
- Open and clickthrough rates
- Bounce and unsubscribe rates
- Content link clicks
- Conversions from content links
- Downstream revenue attribution
For paid ads:
- Impressions and reach
- Ad relevance score
- Clickthrough and conversion rates
- Cost per click / action
- Return on ad spend
Analyze this data to double down on high-performing content while cutting ineffective formats and platforms from rotation.
Distributing remarkable content is only half the battle; smart promotion transforms average content into customer-captivating engines of visibility, leads and revenue. By coordinating targeted campaigns across owned, earned and paid channels – personalized to each audience and content type – you can amplify reach exponentially. With robust promotion flows, every new content asset can become a new catalyst to accelerate your brand’s growth.
Key Takeaways for Promoting Content Across Every Channel
- Set specific goals and KPIs for each content piece – traffic, conversions, etc.
- Analyze audience personas to customize promotion by preferences and behaviors.
- Audit and map owned, earned, and paid promotion channels available.
- Craft an internal workflow for development, approval and deployment.
- Post content 2-4x per day on social media using compelling copy and visuals.
- Send dedicated and integrated content emails, personalized when possible.
- Amplify reach with paid social and PPC ads focused on conversions.
- Try native advertising like sponsored articles and influencer posts.
- Closely track performance across every channel and optimize accordingly.
- 1 Promoting Your Content: Social Media, Email and Paid Strategies for Maximizing Reach
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Content Promotion Planning Principles
- 1.3 Promoting Content on Social Media
- 1.4 Promoting Content Via Email
- 1.5 Paid Content Promotion Opportunities
- 1.6 Tracking Content Promotion Performance
- 1.7 Conclusion
- 2 Key Takeaways for Promoting Content Across Every Channel